hey peeps. So I figure I am on my second week off I really needed to start blogging about my Bluff adventure. We have just completed our second session (each session consists of two-weeks in Bluff). If I could sum up my experience in one word it would be exhausting. This post focuses on our first session.
So when we arrived in Bluff in January we had a house design that a few of us had been working relentlessly on. Well after arriving we split into two groups since we are building two houses. The Westwater team and the Monument Valley team. I am on the Westwater team. The difference between the two teams is staggering. My team is 6 girls and 4 guys whereas the other team is all guys with 1 girl. I was really worried about not having manpower but it ended up being better. We work as a team so well its amazing. Thus far we haven't had any major disagreements. Also the projects are SO different. Monument Valley is in a national park and has the most amazing views, and the family is well education...this is where all the ego architects wanted to work...because well it photographs beautifully. Whereas our project is an area with no running water, electricity, and people live in hogans or very dilapidated trailers. The whole area is covered in trash. Its a much more social project as this area is in great decline and the community needs some hope.
So after arriving we completely scrapped our original design. It was stressful for a few days but we came up with a completely different design in just a few days. Our interns were worried, but we felt that what we came up with was much better. We worked tirelessly to get construction drawings complete. I was the only one that had a nice computer so my computer ran for like four days straight and we took turns getting the drawings ready.
The actual living with 20 other people has probably been my hardest adjustment. I am such an introvert that being around so many people all the time is hard for me. Also I was extremely homesick. Marc really helps keep me calm and not being with Newton was torture. Sometimes you just don't want to talk or see anyone and well thats very hard to do with so many people around.
Even though its been a tough sacrifice it has been one of my greatest life adventures thus far to build a house for such a deserving family. They bring us traditional Navajo fry-bread almost daily. I have gained so much insight into these wonderful people and its been such a great experience. We hike and check out ruins for our history class, which has been remarkable. We have had archeologists come and give us lectures on the architecture of the ancient Anasazi's.
This first session we also had a lot of clearing and prepping of the property due to the fact that we are doing prefab houses here in Bluff and then they will be transported to the site. We spent many hours outside moving materials, leveling the ground, etc.
here are some pics.

Scorup house where we sleep

Cooking in the kitchen. We eat dinner together every night and take turns cooking.

Working on design

I ended up doing our hand sketches
Balloon Festival got to help put up balloons and then got an awesome ride and flew next to cliffs to look at dwellings!

Our playground
Lots of design, mind-numbing sometimes
We call this the think-tank
Hank, our philosophical leader. Design review on the big-screen.
The ladies. yes we look frumpy...the brilliant ones always do!
My roommate Kristen...this lady has been all over the world doing humanitarian work.
The Westwater Team











1 comment:
What an awesome project and experience! I can't believe you had to come up with a whole new design!
Post a Comment