So its been completely crazy the last month! The last couple weeks of school were a complete nightmare...its taken a few weeks to even come to terms to write about it. The first part of the semester was great. I had a reasonable amount of free time and only having 4 classes was a DREAM! However in the last 2 to 3 weeks I put in more all-nighters than I have any other semester. There was probably at least 7 days I stayed all night or at least until 5am. The last week was particularly bad. My final presentation was on the 13th, but my mom was getting married on the 11th so I had the goal to finish on Friday the 10th. This turned out to be tougher than I thought it might...Monday up until 1 am, Tuesday until 2am, Wednesday 5am, Thursday 6am, Friday 4am. I think between Wednesday, Thursday and Friday I slept about 5 hours...I was working every spare second. On Wednesday I got to school at like 6am and didn't leave until 5am, therefore I was in that building for almost 24 hours straight. Blah!!!
There were so many disasters that last week too...my printing was all messed up. I had a pdf but for some reason when I printed it would randomly be missing part of the file, most of the pieces I cut on the laser cutter for my models were wrong and the line was so long to cut that I had to improvise, when I pinned up my final print (two 10' long sheets) they didn't line up because I think in one print dialog box I didn't uncheck fit to paper so it was slightly scaled, also Ashley (buddy that sits across from me) cut her fingertip off early morning about 3 or 4 when we were all there so we had to take her to the hospital. Then we had to take her again right before the review because it got infected. I honestly thought I might die of stress. It gets ugly at the end, I turn into a mess in every way. At one point Marc found me in the closet crying while using Newton as a cry pillow. It was so pathetic. That is so unusual for me, but it really gets that bad. Luckily Marc refused to let me work that night he took me out to dinner and gave me a great pep talk, and I ate more carbs than humanly possible so that helped! That was his first heroic effort. The second involved some kids at school telling me about this awesome rendering program called Artlantis that could render at amazing speeds. Anyways Marc downloaded it while I was working on other stuff and proceeded to learn how to use it in like a day. Then he helped me export my project into Artlantis to do my final rendering. Without that I think I would have been sunk!!! Seriously it was at this point I was on the verge of breakdown but every time I couldn't figure out that stupid program (I mean heck I had only heard about it like 24 hours prior) Marc would jump in and find out what the problem was while I worked on something else.
I think the reason this final production took so long was because they were requiring us to make two models. A sectional model and also a building model. These models are time consuming. I'm thankful my mom and Marc helped with some of the tedious labor of taking the plastic of all the curtain walls, each pane of glass had a little protective plastic on it. Also my building had a perforated metal skin, so to recreate that I used a delicate mesh screen that I molded to fit over each building. I will post some pictures. When I came home Saturday morning about 4 am my hands were a MESS...completely covered in all kinds of super glue, spray paint, and other crap. Mind you the wedding is in like 12 hours. So I slept and then used lots of paint thinner to try to remove some of it.
All that I am talking about here is only one of my classes. On top of that I had a 20 page paper and 20 minute presentation, designed a bridge, and was working on designing the house to be built in a month. Wow.
Enough of that. At the end there is nothing more rewarding than seeing all your work hanging there and looking beautiful (even with all the mistakes). What I keep learning at the end of each semester is that I can feel my Heavenly Father on my side at all times. When I think I'm just going to give up somehow I get a little more energy that I didn't think I had left. I have never been so thankful for that power. I have now completed 4 semesters and I have 3 left. So I am more than half way done.
About the project: So the work that follows is my studio project for the semester. Basically studio is our design class and then we have supporting classes such as structures, history, art, etc. Anyways this semester they gave us a list of projects we could do for studio and I chose to work on a refugee center. It is a real project that is currently getting ideas as to what to build so they asked us to brainstorm. It will be located at 3900 S and roughly west temple. This refugee center will be a place that refugees can meet together and have parties, take classes, and receive the support they need. My basic design was a community of buildings like a village with each having a different function. The buildings will be linked together by a raised path. The buildings will be glass and wood with a perforated copper skin that allows light to filter through.
Here is some of my work.....
The Process
























Final Board

Final Building Model
Final Section Model

No comments:
Post a Comment