Last year Jen and I needed some new water bottles as we were both tired of throwing away a water bottle every time we got a drink. While we were trying to figure out what water bottle to get we learned about BPA. BPA is an endocrine disruptor that is found in hard clear plastics that makes it so that they can be clear and hard. The effects from BPA, even in trace amounts, are truly frightening. Nothing is being done to get this chemical out of consumer goods though. This is only one of the chemicals that are not well regulated by any government agency.
Jen and I have recently started to reanalyze the foods and the products that we use. We have started to try to use a lot more fresh foods and tried to getting natural products when we can. It seems as though in society today we don't worry about potential long term impacts from the decisions that we make. This is having a large impact on society. This generation of children is the first in 200 years that are expected to have a shorter life expectancy than their parents. There is a new show coming to ABC that I just heard about. It stars a British chef named Jamie Oliver who helped to change England's school lunch policy to focus on fresh and healthy food for the children, who has come to America to help different areas to try to help us see what we are actually doing to ourselves. This video kind of shows how children today don't even know what fresh vegetables even look like. There is another video preview for this show that shows that the children who eat breakfast at the school are provided pizza for breakfast.
The healthcare debate is raging right now, and I believe that something needs to be done, but as long as we continue to act like children whose parents aren't around and eat and do whatever we want the costs for healthcare will continue to skyrocket. The obesity epidemic cost America about $147 billion in 2008. That number came from comparing the medical costs for normal weight people to those who are obese. I realize that weight is not a signifier of good health, as skinny people can at times be less healthy than those who are not, but I am pretty sure that is the exception rather than the rule. I am really looking forward to learning from Jamie Oliver and seeing what he has to say about our current epidemic.
Saturday, February 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
So what water bottles did you get?
We got stainless steel water bottles made by a company called Klean Kanteen. One of the best purchases ever. I use it everyday.
The video is a real sad commentary on our society. My grandchildren would do much better with the food quiz than these children did thanks to a good Mom and Dad.
Post a Comment