{ about us }

hello we are Marc & Jen and this blog chronicles our crazy journey together...thanks for listening!

{ marc } aka husband, smartest person ever, and honey. bachelors in physics and math. Working on his PhD in biophysics. Loves to bike, read, and pretty much anything nerdy

{ jen } aka crazy perfectionist. bachelors in interior design and a Master of Architecture. Currently working at Richardson Design Partnership in SLC

{ Newton } aka baby boy, little newt, newtonian, fig newton, and lovey. Loves oranges, tomatoes, stuffed animals, running wild, and licking every person he sees.

{Maxwell Rags} aka Maxerella, Maxerboo, Maxiepants and the white knight! Very calm but goofy. Total cuddle bear. Loves shoes..ugh!

{ Yarn } aka yarnicans. Loves drinking from the sink, teasing newton, yarn, curling in a ball, and creating little caves in blankets to sleep in

{ the babies }

{ the babies }



Free Hit Counter

Florence, Italy

Florence, Italy

Paris

Paris

Rome

Rome

Pompeii

Pompeii

Sorrento

Sorrento

Venice

Venice

Friday, March 26, 2010

Summer plans

So there is a lot up in the air right with summer. Originally Marc and I had started making plans to spend 6 weeks backpacking through Europe...we had pretty much all but bought the tickets. Well about a month ago Prescott (architecture director and my studio professor) approached the 3+ students about doing an accelerated program. What that would mean is that I go this summer, fall & spring, and then next summer and I'm done. That means I would be graduating in August 2011 instead of May 2012.

So this definitely threw us through a loop. The chance to graduate earlier is awesome in the fact that it would allow Marc more options for his PhD next fall if he decides he would rather go back east or to Europe, also it means we could have a baby a lot sooner. So right now it looks as if our trip has gone out the window. Right now there is a lot of confusion about how many spots there will be and who will be offered the spots, etc. But so far I am the only 3+ (meaning we are graduate students with an undergraduate in a non-architecture field there about 8 of this year coming from about 40 applicants) that is willing to take this on. Many of us right now our doing our 4th consecutive semester (spring, summer, fall, spring) and if I do the accelerated I will have done 8 semesters consecutively that's like doing 4 years of college in 3...extremely difficult to say the least. If it wasn't so demanding it wouldn't be nearly as bad but when you put 12 hours a day into something day-in-day-out it gets overwhelming very quickly. Everyone else is needing a break, but I think I can do it if I can just keep my mental sanity.

This semester I have really focused on exercising everyday and keeping personal time a priority (Marc has made a house rule that I have to shower at least every other day!). It also helps that I have Marc. Honestly, there is no way I could do this without him. The hard part is not knowing. So I'm hoping by this week we will have it all straightened around, so that we can make some plans. Right now they know I'm interested but only if they will offer me a full tuition scholarship. I may be the first (and maybe the only) graduate student to do the long program in such a short time frame.I just hope they can get the financial part of it in line and they will be able to offer me what I want. ahhhhh I'm such a planner!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Danelle and Alex said...

That is incredible that you were offered that opportunity and not many other get the chance. It sounds like a crazy year but it would also be nice to get it over with since school is crazy anyways. Hard choice though. Not many people get to back pack through Europe for six weeks either.
I have been meaning to respond to your comment on my blog and its funny because this post kind of goes along with it. You said something about all of those pictures making you so tired. The funny thing is that everything you post about your school projects makes me so tired. The thought of going to school so much does not sound like fun to me. I would much rather be playing on the floor with Kade because that doesn't seem hard to me at all. But you are thinking school is totally what you want to be doing right now and chasing after a baby seems like a lot of work. Seeing your comment just totally made me realize everyone's lives are how they should be. I wouldn't change what I have and you wouldn't want to change what you have. Plus you are going to have a masters degree and that is something hardly any moms can say. I wish I could say that... but like I said I don't want to WORK for it haha!!!
So anyways, about the school thing it would be so nice to be done sooner so you can be done and like you said have a baby sooner. I love being a mom and I think it is the best thing in the world. But then again you might not get to go to Europe another time. Its so hard to decide and I am sure I am no help. Sorry that is so long. I was going to email you and then I realized I don't have your email. So it will just have to be a long blog post!

Deanna said...

what a tough decision. i don't envy you. Kudos to you for keeping yourself a priority... Making sure you get your exercise in and showering at least every other day. Good Luck with deciding.And keep taking care of you...no matter what you decide.